Sunday, October 12, 2008

SETTE!

The sink in our apartment flooded Thursday night. Two of my lovely roomies cleaned up half an inch of standing water from the kitchen & bathroom.

That being said, it was neccessary for Luisa & I to head to the beach Friday morning.

Off we went to Viareggio. It's a small town about an hour away from Florence. We stayed at Hotel London--right on the beach and our hotel had a balcony. Maybe the balcony was a little excessive but we reasoned that we deserved VIP treatment considering we hadn't even been able to shower at our apartment due to fear of another flooded kitchen.

We walked on the beach and napped in beach chairs the entire day. The wheather was perfect and the beach wasn't crowded at all. We were probably the only Americans on the beach. I've been making flash cards with Italian words on them, so I got to study Italian for a little while.





We went to dinner and then took a taxi to a disco about 4 miles out of town. Of course we were the ONLY Americans in the entire disco. I was pretty uncomfortable the entire time because I seriously couldn't carry on a conversation longer than 5 minutes with anyone. But it's part of the learning process... I do enjoy listening to Luisa speak to other people in Italian because it helps me learn how to construct sentences. I usually understand the majority of what she's saying but if I stop paying attention for more than a second I'm lost.

I met an Italian named Jordan! That was exciting! Italians love Miami so I'll usually tell people I'm from there just to be amused by their reactions. I told someone I was from Miami and they bowed down to me. That was awkward but cool, I guess. This one guy came up to Luisa and I and started yelling at us and accusing us for stealing his dog ... he felt really guilty once he realized we were American and had no idea what he was talking about.

(Luisa and I at Viareggio. I haven't done the squirrel pose in awhile & thought it needed a comeback)

All in all though the people at Viareggio were SO sweet. In the center everyone is so fed up with tourist, but since there aren't as many tourists at Viareggio the Italians are more patient. They actually encouraged me to practice my Italian with them.


The next morning we woke up to a knock on the door... we had missed our checkout time which meant that we had missed our train. We decided to have a picnic in the park and then caught the later train home.

It was so weird coming back into Florence. I didn't realize how much slower the pace of things are outside of the center. It's funny though because the pace of things in the center is already so much slower than the pace of things in America.

I have midterms next week so I'm sure I'll be studying alot. I hope everyone is doing good! Thanks so much for all the e-mails!

Multi Baci!