ROME!
We stayed in Rome the longest. At first I didn't really like it because it's so much larger than Florence, but once we figured out the metro it was great! I saw all the hot spots featured in Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen's Hollywood classic When in Rome--Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Colleseum, Pantheon, & Vatican City.
The Colleseum was by far my favorite! It was SO beautiful! I loved how there was a piece of ancient Rome sitting in the middle of a modern city. We went on a night time bus tour of Rome (Mom's idea...) and it was pretty strange. Nothing is illuminated at night so we couldn't see any of the monuments, and it was raining heavily. The bus made a stop a few blocks from the Trevi Fountain & allowed the passengers to walk to it for photo ops. It was only sprinkling when the bus stopped for the Trevi fountain so I figured I'd go check it out. By the time I walked one block it was POURING. Since the wind was blowing, my umbrella was a lost cause. There was NO ONE at the fountain by the time I got there & it was raining to hard to take a picture. Basically, I arrived back at the bus with soaking wet pants (that still smell like mildew) and soaking wet shoes (my all time favorite pair...which have since been disposed of).
One of my favorite Rome moments was when Mom & I ate lunch at a restaurant (props to Mrs. Janet for the suggestion!) a bird pooped on the corner of our table. I looked at the waiter and shook my finger in disapointment. He got really excited and started telling me that it was good luck! A close second favorite Rome moment was when our hotel desk man, Samy, got super excited about my blackberry and tried to talk to me about how great blackberrys are for 20 minutes. I couldn't understand a SINGLE word he was saying.
Spanish Steps
Trevi Fountain
Pantheon
Colleseum

We took a day trip to Pompeii which was gorgeous. It was bigger than we anticipated and we were lost the ENTIRE time thanks to their not so helpful map. But everything was so beautiful and everywhere you turned there was a picture perfect setting. The best part about Pompeii was the people. They were SO sweet. We ate lunch at a little sandwhich stand & they gave my mom & I free oranges! :)
Pompeii
Me & Mom
We went to Vatican City to see the Sistine Chapel and all the other wonderful Michelangelo pieces there. It was cool to be visit two separate countries in one day. I love how it's this cute little fenced in uptopia complete with its own post office and costumed guards. The Pope invited Mom & I to dinner but due to scheduling conflicts we weren't able to make it. Next time though.
MILAN!
We spent a night in Milan so that I could see Leonardo Da Vinci's Last Supper. I had been looking forward to this the most & it was my favorite thing I saw over the break. They only let you stand in front of the painting for 15 minutes (which seems like 5 when you're there...) but it was SO beautiful. I really liked the city of Milan. It was raining both days we were there so I'm hoping I'll get a chance to go back & enjoy the city a little more. We also ate the BEST Italian meal EVER! I'm pretty sure the owner has some ties in the mafia, but then again, what Italian doesn't? =D
VENICE!
I didn't take my camera to Venice but it was the cutest city. I couldn't help but think I was destined to retire and grow old there...but then I reminded myself how impractical it would be. Thanks to Rick Steves we got VIP entrance access to the Duomo and ate some delish pasta.
PISA!
Pisa was ... well, Pisa. I was excited to see the leaning tower but as for the city...it didn't have all too much to offer. It was hillarious walking towards the tower and seeing people stopped in the middle of the street morphing their bodies into really awkward poses to get THE picture that every tourist who goes to Pisa takes. That's right, I took one too. No shame.
All in all it was a great fall break and I'm glad I got to see the mother! Maurine is coming here in a month and a half so I'm excited to be able to show her around too.
WE HAVE A NEW PRESIDENT! YAY! It's been really interesting following the election in Italy. I've gotten to see a different perspective on both political parties. I didn't vote ... whoopsies, but I am excited about the outcome. It was very comforting to be living in Italy and feeling like Italians are rooting for our country to succeed and be happy. The day after the elections was my most enjoyable day here. Instead of the "Ciao Bella!" "Hi Sweetie!" "Excuse me! You dropped something ... My heart" cat calls, I heard "Congratulations! Obama!" It just warms my heart!
I miss you all & love you all tons!
Molti Baci (many kisses)
- jordan




