Thursday, September 4, 2008

UNO

As most of you know... I FINALLY MADE IT! :)

Florence, Italy is a little piece of perfection and I'm so excited to learn more about the Italian culture.

I'm living in the Piazza Mercato Centrale. It's a chic court flooded with parked mopeds, eateries, and shops. Right across the street is the Mercato-we go there to get fresh fruits and veges. There is an entire floor where butchers sell all kinds of meat...It's pretty gross. If you want to purchase anything, you have to ask the owner of the stand to pick it out for you. You're not allowed to touch any of the products yourself. Even in grocery stores, you have to put on a glove to pick out an apple!

(View from the window in my room)

(Dried fruit at the Mercato)

I'm living with 5 other girls. One is arriving later in the month, but the other 4 are Megan, Luisa, Katie, and Ashley. They're all super sweet! We cooked pasta tonight to celebrate moving to Florence!

(Dinner in our new home! (L to R): Me, Katie, Megan, Ashley, Luisa)

We walk around everywhere, which I love! We purposefully get lost just to venture down one more street. We stumbled upon a democratic convention today (after looking for IKEA for like an hour...we didn't find it...YET!). It was such a cool environment: there were booths set up inside and outside (even a vegetarian booth!!). They had a whole booth of books (complete with Barack Obama's book .. in italian!!), and they sold the BEST gummy bears evvveeerr!!

I still haven't had Gillato (that's next on my list), but I did eat Italian pizza and it was DELISH! I will say that peanut butter here must be a delicacy because a baby bucket of skippy is 5 euro which is like 8 dollars (!!!). Insane.

I still don't know how to speak Italian but I can't wait to start my Italian class! (Apparently I'd been pronouncing the word for "thank you" wrong and had been telling everyone "grace"). I have orientation tomorrow so I'll get to meet my advisor!

I'll try and update again soon! Remember to e-mail me whenever you can!

Ciao! Jordan